Samsung Galaxy line devices are more easier to root than other manufacture devices. However, they introduce different methods to prevent and track the more easier. Samsung introduce KNOX security feature to track the unauthorized system modifications such as rooting. Although as a result of the Linux kernel bug, we can easily gain the root access.Therefore, you don’t need to worry about the warranty void. If the KNOX trigger, it can’t reset and the device warranty void.
In order to use this Galaxy S5 root method, we need to install (flash) the older ANC7 firmware (include this post). The latest firmware, Samsung fixed that kernel bug. If your device is running the latest bug fixed kernel, your device might not support. Therefore, you have to install the older SM-G900F, ANC7 firmware using the PC ODIN application. It will not tap the KNOX counter nor void the warranty. Therefore you are safe.
This process we are going to use the Towelroot app which was developed by the geohot, as I mentioned earlier, it uses the Linux kernel bug to gain the root. It’s a universal app, and support wide variety of devices.
In this post, I added two parts, first one cover the downgrade the firmware to the “ANC7” and second part cover the rooting. After the rooting completed, you can again update to the latest version using PC ODIN application. The updating process is really simple and I will cover it in the next post.
This post contain firmware file only for the Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F.
How to downgrade the Galaxy S5 SM-G900F to the ANC7 firmware.
- Download the ANC7 firmware from here. PC Odin application in here.
- After the download uncompress the both firmware and ODIN
- Then copy the downloaded firmware file to the uncompressed ODIN folder.
- Double click on the Odin3 v3exe file.
- Power off the Samsung Galaxy S5.
- Press and hold “Home, Volume Down and Power” button together.
- Next, there’s two options, continue the download mode or reboot the device. Now press the Volume Up key to continue the download mode.
- Click on the “AP” button and choose the “G900FXXU1ANCE_G900FOXX1ANC7_G900FXXU1ANCE_HOME.tar” file.
- Wait for a few seconds. Probably now ODIN will not respond.
- Click on the “Start” button.
- Now it starts the installation. You can see the installation progress in the ODIN as well as the Galaxy S5.
- Once the installation completed, it will reboot the device.
How to root Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F.
- Download the Towel root app in here.
- Enable install app from the unknown source (Go to “Settings>Security” and check “Unknow sources” option).
- Install the downloaded apk by double tap on it.
- Once the app installed, open it.
- Tap the “make it ra1n” button.
- Now you got the root.
- Install the latest SuperSU app from the Google play store in here.
Now we can install any latest Galaxy S5 SM-G900F Android firmware. In this step we are going to use the PC ODIN application. It will not wipe any data on your device. Therefore, it will not remove the root permission. Moreover, you can use the mobile ODIN application too.