Windows media Center and Windows media player not support xvid, divx, mkv, amr, mpc, ofr, mka, ape, flac, evo, flv, m4b, ogg, ogv, ogm, rmvb, media file formats. When we are going to play these files, it shows “The file type is not recognized and cannot be played. Either the correct codes is not installed or the file is corrupted. “
However, those are popular file extensions. Most of the time when we are downloading YouTube videos, movies, those videos have MKV, DIVX etc above mentioned file formats. At that time we had to use another media player, or convert to the supported format. Converting video does not always give correct results, sometime it reduces the video quality and it requires few times. But now we can easily play that file format with the Windows Media player.
In order to play back above unsupported file format with Windows Media player, we have to use Codec pack. Shark007’s Codec is a one of the all in one solution. It’s a free and support subtitles too. This free tool enables some extra features to AVI file type. For an instance if the AVI has dual audio, user can easily switch preferred language.
Once installed the Sharkoo7, user can add previously unsupported media files to the library as well as it automatically generates the video thumbnail just like other media files.
How to play xvid, divx, mkv, amr, mpc, ofr, mka, ape, flac, evo, flv, m4b, ogg, ogv, ogm, rmvb Windows Media player and Media Center.
How to install.
- Close the Windows media player.
- Download and install the Shark007’s Advanced Codec pack from the developer site in here or file hippo site in here. Its advanced pack has more features and it supports more file formats.
- Installs just like the normal application installation method.
- After the installation, run the Shark007 Codecs Settings Application 32 or 64 bit as an administrator change any settings ( if you need).
- In some situation, it
- This application work without any configuration. But in my situation, I have to correct the dual audio playback.
How to fix dual audio issue.
Sometime when you are playing AVI, MKV etc dual audio support files, Windows Media player and Media Center automatically play both of the sound tracks. To fix it, we have to choose LAV’s splitter, or any other suitable splitter.
- Run the Codecs setting application as an administrator.
- In its main window you can see several tabs. In each video file format tab there’s a “Play back” option, choose its “Use LAV’s Splitter” option.
- Now dual audio playback issue fixed. Sometime you need to reboot the computer to apply the changes.
How to fix thumbnail not showing issue.
After Windows media center and player supported MKV, FLV, Xvid, DivX, etc unsupported files playback, you may experience your OS not display that newly supported media files thumbnails. To fix it, we have to,
- Go to the Config TAB (of the 64bit app if you have 64bit).
- Click the “Icaros Thumbnailing” button at the bottom of the window.
- Next window, click “0” button to disable and again click “|” button to reactivate the thumbnailer.
- Sometime it require to reboot the PC.
Windows Explorer crashes while copying MKV files.
Sometime when we are copying or moving MKV files from the portable device or specially Android device to the computer, Windows Explorer crashes or not responding. To fix that issue we have to disable Divx.com MF Spliiter.
- Run the Codecs settings application as an administrator.
- Go to the MKV TAB. If the Divx MF splitter enabled, disable it.
- In order to apply the changes, it may require to reboot the PC.