There are several ways to install WordPress on cPanel account. Using automated software/script and manual installation are major methods. Manual WordPress is little bit longer than the automated system. Although it is not a hard process. The only advantage of the automated script based method is it created a database and a user. Therefore in this method we have to do it manually.
Most of the shared and VPS hosting providers pre-install one or two automate software scripts on your cPanel account. For an instance fantastico installer. If your hosting provider not support such a script, you can apply this method. This WordPress setup tutorial can apply Bluehost, Hostgator, Godaddy, Dreamhost, etc any hosting services which provide cPanel.
In this WordPress installation Guide, I have described step by step how to manually install WordPress, create a MySQL database and user for your site. Therefore you have to carefully follow all these steps. This method I use cPanel file manager, however if you are familiar with the FTP client, you can use it. This method is lot more easier than the FTP client.
Make a Database and Database user.
Before starting manual WordPress installation, we need to create a database and database user. CPanel user can easily create it.
Create a MySQL database.
- Login to your hosting account cPanel account.
- Navigate to “Database>MySQL Databases“.
- Under the “Create New Database” type an unguessable name. It’s your database name. However later you can change the MySQL database name using this tutorial.
- Next click “Create Database” option.
Create a MySQL user name.
Once you have followed above step, next we have to create a user for access database. Now you are in the Database>MySQL Databases page.
- Under the MySQL Users “Add user” type a name.
- Next type a strong unguessable password. This password not necessary after installing WordPress (configured WP-config.php file), therefore use strong password. You can assist “Password Generator” option to create a strong password.
- Copy and paste this user name and password in a text file. After WordPress installed, we need to submit that credentials to wp-config file to complete the installation.
- Finally click on “Create user” button.
Grant database user to access database.
- Now again you are in the “Database>MySQL Databases” page. Scroll down until you see “Add User To Database”.
- In its drop down menu select your database and user name.
- Next click on the “Add” button.
- Next you will redirected to the “MySQL Account Maintenance” page. Click its “ALL PRIVILEGES” option.
- Then click “Make Changes” button.
Manually WordPress Installation Instructions cPanel.
- Download the WordPress zip file in here and upload it to cPanel using file manager.
- Select the uploaded zip file by click on it.
- Next click on the cPanel file manager “Extract” button.
- Once it’s uncompressed, you can see “WordPress” folder in the “public_html” directory.
- Open that folder.
- Next click “Select all” button.
- Then click “Move” option.
- Now you can see “Move” option.
- Next you can see a light box “Move” popup window.
- At its bottom, choose the destination location as “/public_html/”.
- Then click “Move file (s)” button.
- Now all the WordPress files are in the /public_html/ folder.
Update wp-config.php file.
Update WordPress database.
- Go to your cPanel file manager “/public_html/”. Search the “wp-config-sample.php” and right click on it.
- Next context menu chooses rename and submit it new name as “wp-config. php”.
- Search its “/** The name of the database for WordPress” section */ “.
- In there paste or type the above created MySQL database name, user name as well as a password. No need to change the MySQL host name.
- Save the updated wp-config file.
Update secret keys
- In the wp-config file search following sentence contain row. “Put your unique phrase here”.
- Now go to the following official WordPress secret key generating site in here. Now it automatically generate a unique key for your newly installed site. Copy that entire key. This page displays extra keys, no matte copy all of them (you can use “Ctrl” key with “A”).
- Now replace it with your config file keys.
- Save the wp-config file.
Start WordPress installer script.
- Now everything completed. Now we have to start the WordPress default installer file.
- Go to your site. Then it automatically redirects to the Welcome page. Its URL looks like this, http://www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin/install.php (replace the mydomain.com with your own domain).
- Under the “Information needed”, type your site name, user name, password and your email address.
- Finally click on the “Install WordPress” button to continue the final step of the manual wordpress install.
- Next you will redirected to the log-in page. Click on the Log-in button and login to your admin dashboard.
Here are the few useful tutorials that you should follow right after this installation process.
- Backup WordPress to Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon CS3, DevHost.
- Rename WordPress MySQL Database Table Prefix.
If you feel this is so complicated method, you can ask your hosting provider to install automated software installing scripts on your cPanel account. However most of the companies pre-installed that services.