Google custom site search makes searching your site easier. If your WordPress blog use custom 404 error page, it’s better add a Google site search box to 404 pages. Normally we can’t place its code into a posts and pages. Because it’s not supported. After we added it to the posts or pages, it shows a blank. With a use of another small wordperss plugin we can place Google custom search code to posts and pages.
This tutorial I’m going to introduce EmbedIt Pro by SuperThemes free WordPress plugin. User can add any HTML, Java script codes to this plugin. Then it will generate a small short code. Then that code can place anywhere in your site. It can be your post, sidebar or even page. This is a useful for most of the users. This tutorial covers only how to place Google custom search HTML code to WordPress posts, although you can apply this method to add any HTML snippets to your posts. You have to follow the exact same steps.
Some of the WordPress premium themes such as Genesis doesn’t come with a custom 404 page. If your theme doesn’t have a that type of error page, you can simply create. Using this method you can style it. The most importance of use Google search for WordPress sites, it gives better results than the WordPress default search. Apart from that user can motorize the site by using the site search (if you already have Google Adsense).
How to add Google custom site search code to WordPress posts, pages.
- Install the EmbedIt Pro by SuperThemes plugin.
- After the activation you can see a new “HTML Snippets” menu.
- Click its “HTML Snippets>Add New”.
- The next page type a suitable name for this snippet. This name uses to identify the shortcode. So in this case it’s better name it as “search box” or something similar.
- Then paste the Google custom search code in the relevant box.
- Next click “Publish” button.
- Now your it generates a WordPress shortcode. Similar to this “[ embedit snippet=”google-search-box” ] “
- Copy that code and place it anywhere you want.
- Apart from that if you go to the posts or pages compose page, in there you can easily add previously EmbedIt Pro by SuperThemes free plugin created shortcodes by using “HTML Snippets” button.
Using this same method you can add advertisements codes. There are several WordPress plugins developed for use the Google custom search Engine box. Although they are not customizable. Google allows user to customize this widget color, appearance and many more things. If you deleted or deactivated this plugin, your Google custom search box will be disappeared on your site. So keep it in your mind.