Windows update gives performance enhancements and security fixes. Keeping up to date Windows the computer is recommended by Microsoft.
While updating the Windows 10, you may encounter, “We Could Not complete the install because an update service was shutting down”. As a result of that, you may not able to install the latest Windows 10 updates.
The main reason for this issue is, Windows update service crashed or disabled. There may be more reasons to crash or disable that service, but with a simple step, we can run this service. The simplest solution for this issue is restart the “Windows Update Service”.
How to Fix Windows update service was shutting down.
- Type “services” on the Windows search box.
- Now Windows service will open. Scroll to the bottom until you see the “Windows Update”.
- Double click on that service. Then it will open the “Properties” window.
- In properties windows, under the “General” tab “Startup Type” should be “Automatic”.
- Check “Service status”, if it’s “Stopped” click on the “Start” button.
- Finally, click on “Apply” and “OK” buttons.
- Then navigate to Windows “Update & Security” and again check for update.
Now, your issue should fix, if it does not work for you, restart the laptop, desktop or tablet. If none of the above methods, you have to “Reset” the PC. If you experience this issue regularly, most of the time your PC installed application (like optimization applications) disable the Windows Update service.