Rarely when we are trying to delete some files, Windows shows ” Source Path Too Long” title with “The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system. Try moving to a location which has a shorter path name, or try renaming to shorter name(s) before attempting this operation. But none of these suggestions are working.
This issue occurs if there’s large amount of folders inside it. Large mean huge amount of folders than the usual. Normally windows can handle 255 or 260 characters and it varies from different operating systems. If you have an older OS such as Windows XP, Vista you have a lower character limit. In that situation, Windows can’t perform that action. Not only that, if there’s a file with longer name it also occurs this issue.
We can fix this file path is too long issue in several ways. The easiest way is using Long Path Fixer for Windows tool. It’s a free tool and work almost all the operating systems. It can use everyone, other method need window command prompt. Therefore, in this post I’m going to use this tiny application.
There’s separate 32bit and 64bit versions, when you are downloading, choose the correct version. This application can fix this issue in several alternative ways, by deleting, moving or copying the folders and files. I
Fix Source Path Too Long Windows.
- Fist download the from the developer site in here.
- If the targeted folder has valuable files, copy them to another secure place. (Outside of the folder, that you are going to delete)
- Run the tool as an administrator. If you are running a non administrator account, you have to switch to admin account.
- In its main windows browse the folder that you want to delete. Its top drop down menu shows all the partitions and removable devices on your computer. Choose the partition or removable device that you want.
- Once selected the partition or removable device letter it automatically listed the available folders. Next browse the folder that you want to delete.
- Choose “Delete” button.
- Now it’s completed.
- Close the Long Path Fixer application and check that folder actually deleted.
There are some limitations in this application, it’s not available, select multiple folders at once time. Therefore, if your laptop, desktop has several longer file paths or a long file name, file, you have to delete or rename them one by one.