While installing custom ROM’s such as Lineage or official ROM’s zip files from custom recoveries such as TWRP, CWM it shows Installation Aborted error 7 or status 7 error. In some rare cases when installing an official ROM’s zip file, we get this updater process ended with Error: 7 Error installing zip file.
There’re many reasons for this error. The most common thing is ROM’s updater script is messed up other reasons can be you are trying to install the custom ROM on top of incompatible data. There’re mainly two ways to fix this error. You can use either any method to overcome this message. The first method more easier, the second method we need to edit the ROMs’ updater-script file.
Installing wrong custom ROM on your device can cause permanent damage to your Android phone/ tablet. Before installing a Custom ROM make sure that it released to your device.
Method 01 – Factory Reset.
- Boot into the recovery mode.
- Navigate to “Wipe Data> Advanced Wipe“.
- Next select “Dalvik/ ART Cache” , “Cache“, “Data” options.
- Drag the “Swipe to Wipe” option.
Method 02 – Edit updater-script file.
This method, we need to edit the ROM zip file updater-script file. It’s more convenient, move the downloaded custom ROM zip file to a PC.
- Copy the ROM zip file to PC.
- Unzip it using Winzip, WinRar or 7zip.
- Navigate to unzipped folder following directory “META-INF/com/google“.
- Rename the “updater-script” file as “updater-script.text“.
- Open the renamed file. (Better open it using Notepad or NotePad ++).
- Delete all the text which starting from “assert” name until the semicolon which is shown in the following screenshot. Sometime it can be ended after 3 or 4 paragraph like bellow.
- After removed the above mentioned text, rename the file as original name (updater-script).
- Save the file.
- Again compress/zip the extracted ROM zip file using Winzip, WinRar or 7Zip.
Now you can use this updated ROM zip file to update your Android phone, tablet.
If problem not solve.
If non of the above methods worked, and still encounter “updater process ended with error 7 ” you can try to update the bootloader of your Android phone, tablet to the latest version. Then you can try to install the custom ROM.