When you need to install a Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 or 8 in a multiple devices or a laptop, which doesn’t have a DVD ROM, you would need a bootable pen drive (flash device). This pen drive Windows USB installer is just like a burned DVD or a CD. In this method, we need an original DVD ISO image.
There are many alternative ways to do it. In this tutorial I’m going to use the Rufus free application. It can also make Live Ubuntu USB installer too. This post I’m not going to cover ISO image creating steps. If you need to know how to create an ISO image using a DVD, you can refer my this how to tutorial.
This method will wipe the flash drive all the data and copy the ISO files to the root of the device. Therefore, it’s highly recommended to back up the device’s files and folders. No need to use a professional tool, just copy or move files to your computer hard disk. It’s simple and quicker.
Create a Windows 8 Bootable USB Pen Drive ( Flash Drive )
First download the Rufus free live USB drive creating tool from here. It is a free utility, which is compatible with Windows XP to Windows 8.1. This tiny tool is a portable application, once download we can run it by double click on the rufus
- After you open the tool, click its device drop down menu and choose the correct USB drive.
- In format options click the small “DVD” icon, then browse the ISO file location and choose the Windows 8 or 8.1 ISP file. If you need to check for bad sectors, then enable the “Check device for bad blocks” option. This bad sector detecting option will scan the whole device. Therefore, it will slow down the live USB creating time.
- Once you choose the ISO image, it will automatically select the device file system as NTFS. It’s the most suitable file system for the Windows.
- Next, click “Start”, now it will ask for you to format the USB device. Therefore, before starting the this step, it’s better copy the pen drive files and folders to computer. If you have an empty device, it will not ask to format.
- File copying process will take 1-2 minutes. If you can see the progress at the bottom of the Window. Once it’s completed, you can eject the device from the PC and start the installation.
- To boot the computer using a USB device, change the BIOS boot option as “USB device or optical device”. In some situation your pen drive will listed as the manufacturer name.