The Changing Domain Name System is also called a DNS short name. Windows DNS Configuration is now easier. With a simple step, we can apply the most popular and trusted Domain Name System settings to our PC. Such as Google DNS, OpenDNS, or Norton. It will convert the website address into a machine-readable IP address. With a correct configuration, we can quickly communicate with the internet.
If your computer Network and Sharing center don’t use DNS configure all the software manually to identify Domain Name System. This whole process takes a little bit of time and it can be slow down web browsing speed. With a proper configuration, we can speed up internet speed. In this tutorial, I’m going to introduce a simple windows application called DnsJumper. This DNS software for Windows is a totally free application, this free windows software supports Windows XP to the latest versions.
In order to use DnsJumper, it needs administration permission. Because I need to change your Windows DNS Server settings. In addition to that, if you don’t know what are computer DNS settings, this is a good tutorial. If you need to block adult content such as porn sites you can change your computer Domain Name System records to free family safety services such as Norton, OpenDNS family shield.
How to easily change Windows DNS Server Address
- Download DnsJumper in here.
- This is a portable application. This means after download you can run it by double click on its exe file. There is no installation wizard.
- First, make a backup of your current records. In case if you need to go back to the default, you can simply use the backup.
- Under the “All Adapters” click its start button. Then choose a backup.
- Next, select your network adapter. If you need to apply to all the adapters, choose the “All Network Adapters” option.
- Then under the Choose, a DNS server drop-down menu, select a desired service provider. All of them are free.
- If you need to apply free family safety DNS, you can manually add it by clicking on the “Manual DNS server” option.
- Finally, click Apply button.
How to reset to the default (ISP DNS settings).
After changing the domain names settings, if you need to use your ISP (internet service provider) DNS records, you can easily use it.
- Run the DNSJumper application.
- Click its start button, which I mentioned following screenshot.
- Next, click the “Default” option.
- Next, choose to restore. (If you have a backup)
How to block porn websites using DNS.
Using this method, we can add family safety DNS settings to our router or computer. It can apply to any OS computer Windows, Linx, and even Mac. The method I’m going to use is Norton.
- Go to the Norton Domain Name service site in here.
- Click on the “Home user” button.
- Next check the Terms of the service check box.
- Then click the Get started button.
- Then choose a Router or computer.
- Now you will be redirected to the configuration page.
- On that page under the “Chose your protection policy” select plan B or C. In most cases, it’s better to apply the B plan.
- Then apply it to your computer or router.
In this method, if someone tries to access a porn site it blocks the site and shows the Norton logo.